Friday, February 3, 2012

New Year....New 50 food places or things

As the new year is underway I wanted to have a fresh idea for the blog.  My thought...inspired by a crappy list of 50 things to eat in Cleveland that was listed in the Plain Dealer today...50 new places or trying things I have never eaten under $20~!  I need to have something in the mix to keep it loyal to my frugal brand.

Tonight XYZ tavern.  I love this bar and just think it has a fun vibe in general.  I decided to stop there on my way home from work tonight.  So I tried 2 things I have never had before...Rooster Cocoa Porter and Bouillabaisse Risotto.  The total for tonight's dinner, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow, was $20 for dinner, drink, tip and tax!  Not bad for the night with leftovers to boot!

The Rooster Cocoa porter was very interesting.  It was slightly sour with a taste of cocoa.  It was dark but not too hoppy.  I actually liked it and I typically do not like beer.  Dinner was a new experience as well.  I realize that bouillabaisse is not exactly exotic, but it is something I never ate before.  I do not like mussels...but decided to try it anyway.  The meal was yummy.  half a dozen mussels, 4 large shrimp and white fish cooked in a great spicy tangy tomato broth with onions, green peppers, carrots, celery and parsley.  All of it was served over top of rice that was perfectly al dente.  It is going to soak up the remaining broth and not get soggy by tomorrow. 

I have discovered that I still do not like mussels.  Seriously, the texture is just too much for me to get past.  I cut them up really small and they seemed to melt into the dish so as not to be as offensive to me.  The shrimp was cooked perfectly and had fantastic flavor.  This dish needed nothing more added to it.  Once again XYZ Tavern did not disappoint and while for the most point the food is not extremely interesting it is well prepared. 

For my first outing for the blog...it was not that exciting but it stayed under my $20 budget and it was 2 items I have never had before.  Now to start thinking about my next outing!

Please comment with your suggestions and possibly new items for me to try!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment