Friday, February 8, 2013

Stone Mad in Gordon Square

This is a great little spot hidden down 65th in the Detroit Shoreway.  This place is great for drinks at the bar or in the nice months out on stone patio.  The bartenders are gregarious and chatty in good ways.  While I was there, I met George and Patrick.  They were knowledgeable about the specials, the drinks and willing to answer questions.  The interactions with some of the regulars was great to see. 

So the happy hour...not the best not the worst...but good.  The offer $4 glasses of select white or red wines, $3 cocktails made with Three Olives, Bacardi, or tanguray and a variety of beer specials.  The food selection was limited, but very tasty!  You have your choice of Mussels, Cheese Pizza, Pub Sliders, or Wings for $5 each.  I went with the sliders and the wings and I am thrilled with my choices!

The pub sliders are 2 thick beef patties with Irish cheddar and a Guinness BBQ sauce.  They are serve on little toasted buns and are the perfect ratio of meat the bread.  They were hot and delicious and perfectly cooked.  The wings are baked (healthy right?) and served with this amazing cole slaw.  I usually do not like the taste of cole slaw it is vinegar and mayo and just usually not well balanced.  This tasted amazing!  It was creamy and the cabbage and fennel and apples just paired so well together with the El Diablo seasoned wings. 

While I was there a friend and her husband met up and then I ran into another friend.  It felt comfortable sitting at the bar and just hanging out.  Some other people ordered off the regular menu and the food all looked amazing.  I had been to Stone Mad to eat years ago when it first opened and was not impressed.  After last night, I am looking forward to going there and trying something off the regular menu. 

Night out for a full dinner, 2 drinks, tax and tip...under $20!  That is a score!

No comments:

Post a Comment