Friday, April 26, 2013

Wine Tasting

Those of you who know me have at least somewhat of an idea as to how much I love wine.  Vodka is good for a few drinks but wine is the wonderful fermented fruit that you can have with dinner, with friends, sitting around a fire, watching tv, pretty much any situation you can imagine!

My new love...10 for $10 tastings at Battery Park Wine Bar.  This is an unpretentious wine tasting that you go through at your own pace.  It starts at 7pm the last Wednesday of the month and the $10 is added to your bill.  You do need to make reservations for the night.  So you come in, grab a glass and start your journey through the wine.  Order a cheese plate and for 2 people the total cost is only $18 for the night.

On my most recent trip with my dining companion we were tasting local Ohio Wine from Laurello in Geneva.  We started with the whites, moved to the reds, and finished with the sweet Ohio wines.  When we walked in we were given a sheet with all of the wines and the descriptions.  It was great as we went through each one to see if we could taste the hint of white peach or pineapple.  The wines were delicious and for $10 the tasting was well worth it.  I do not typically write about alcohol cheap eats and usually my suggestion is to avoid the alcohol to save on the overall cost.  But this is well worth a frugally classy endorsement.

Since I love writing about the food...I will touch on the cheese plate.  It is a $16 cheese plate with 3 domestic/imported cheeses.  On Wednesday the cheeses were a brie, Merlot soaked Parmesan, and a Camembert.  Along with the cheeses were french bread, a date tapenade, herbed oil, grapes, strawberries and walnuts.  The cheeses were excellent.  The wine soaked cheese had a hint of wine flavor and paired well with the cheeses.  We did not want to leave any cheese on the plate!  I have written before about the quality of the food at the wine bar and the simple cheese plate did not disappoint!

I hate to give away this secret, but it is a great tasting at a great price and so relaxed that you can really enjoy the wines and company of those at the table.    

No comments:

Post a Comment