Monday, June 10, 2013

TOAST

One of the newest places in Gordon Square is Toast.  It is a farm to table type place with all kinds of variables to its menu each night.  I like variables...so I went in for the fun.

I started with the "bartender's choice" for my drink.  You tell the bartender the spirit and if you want sweet or not and then let them create!  I went for non-sweet vodka.  I got a refreshing minty drink that was perfect for a warmish summer night.  My dinner companion asked for a wine that would pair well with chocolate- she was ordering the hand made chocolate truffle with almond.  The bartender gave her a glass of wine that was from a bottle left over from a wine tasting.  It was full bodied and smelled amazing. 

For my food choices...I went with the trio of toast, brocoli beer cheese soup and a sweet pea cake.  The trio of taost changes daily.  On Saturday it was a halibut confit, rabbit, and a vegetable with fresh pea shoots.  All three were amazing.  The toast was perfect.  A lot of times you order these items and the toast is so crunchy it falls apart, or soggy in the middle from the toppings.  This was crunchy, not soggy and it did not fall apart as you bit down.  The brocoli beer cheese soup was different.  Normally you expect thick cheesy broth with some piece of brocoli and a flavor of beer.  This soup was finely chopped brocoli, in an actual broth that was scented heavily with beer.  The chese was on top and the bacon piece were perfect.  LAstly, the sweet pea cake.  Ok...so some people think pea cake gross.  But it was really good.  My complaint was more with the frosting that was almost like thick slabs of butter instead of frosting.  It was not too sweet, which is my preference, but the texture was slightly off.

I am looking forward to another meal at Toast in the near future.  This time I may actually order something substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment